Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A different approach...


As I have said before, my goal as a classroom teacher is to change the world, one child at a time. Recently while wasting my time on Pinterest, I came across the most useful pin. Click here to go to the blog that I stumbled upon. In this blog, a teacher talks about her experience using stability balls in her classroom in lieu of chairs. You might be thinking, "WHAT?! THIS WOMAN IS CRAZY!!"
I know, I thought the same thing. But in all seriousness, take a break from reading this post, and go to her blog. Finish reading this after reading hers. In the meantime, I will post some pictures of classroom who have used this as well.





Now after reading her post, you see that the first thing she did was establish rules. She made it very clear that when a student misbehaved with their ball, they had to sit in a chair (which to her class was punishment.)

After doing extensive studying and research on this topic, I have decided that I want to include these in my classroom. However, I have decided to wait until my second year as a teacher to do so. Here is why:
  • I need to save money to get these balls
  • I need to establish myself as a manager of a classroom
As much as I want to give these a whirl next year in my classroom, I don't want to appear as a fresh graduate who is nieve and with a warped sense of reality as to how my class will behave. Everyone at the school will think I am a lunatic. After I am a confident in my management style, I will incorporate these into my classroom as a  2nd or even 3rd year teacher. I plan on observing classrooms who use these, interview teachers who have used them, and interview parents to receive their opinions on the topic as well.
 
This is my favorite picture: 

What a perfect transition when you have a few minutes to spare before lunch!
Your school does away with P.E.? NO PROBELM! You have your own equipment. 

Please feel free to comment any questions or concerns. I am happy to answer/address them. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment